The Music Industry

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Second Reading: IF YOU BECAME FAMOUS HOW WOULD YOU USE YOUR FAME?

Filed under: Uncategorized — 4everyoung at 1:47 am on Monday, October 11, 2010

A True Champ I remember it like it was yesterday, when I told my dad at the tender age of 5 that “I want to be rich and
famous and have everyone know who my name is.” I clearly recall my dad saying, “Rich yes…but why
famous Adrie?” At that age, all I wanted to do was sing and have everybody enjoy my music and be loved and admired by millions for my vocal talent. For some strange reason, as a child I associated being “famous” an occupation that was incredibly awesome, because if I were “famous” I would own everything since all famous people can afford everything. I told my dad, while sitting in the back seat of his fine Jaguar, while driving over I believe the Whitestone Bridge, that if I were famous, I would own all the boats, all the cars, all the buses, and have the finest clothes and jewelry. He smiled and said that I was “already rich and famous” and just told me to work hard and get an education. Now a little older and thank God a lot wiser, ever so often I reflect on what my dad told me as a kid and to this very day I still haven’t given up on my dream of wanting to become rich and famous. I still want to be rich and famous but now for a completely bigger and better reason. If I were to become a famous singer, I would utilize my fame similar to the way heavyweight boxer Jack Johnson used his fame; take a stand and make a difference.

When I read Ted Vincent’s article, THE COMMUNITY THAT GAVE JAZZ TO CHICAGO I have to admit it got me thinking of wanting to be rich and famous all over again. More importantly, it also got me thinking of how responsible one must be when they have the rare opportunity of being famous. Vincent explained that indeed Jack Johnson gained his notoriety for being a boxer, but he really showed his readers the impact and the zero tolerance Johnson had when it came to racism. Vincent explains in THE COMMUNITY THAT GAVE JAZZ TO CHICAGO article, that Johnson opened Café de Champion in Chicago, a night club that welcomed black, tan, and white patrons. I found that to be very admirable of Johnson especially since Vincent tells his readers, that Chicago had several night clubs that strongly supported the ridiculous idea of segregation by standing firm in not allowing blacks to enter clubs where white people attended. I sincerely appreciate Ted Vincent shedding light on Johnson’s character. Not knowing a thing about Jack Johnson, after reading Vincent’s article, I have nothing but the upmost respect for the Champion Boxer, and a new found respect on people who use their fame for the better good of things in life.

Am I the only one who took away from Ted Vincent’s article how powerful someone can be when they are famous? Am I the only one who took away from Ted Vincent’s article that Jack Johnson didn’t have to take a stand against racism? I hope not. Being famous has several perks. Yes, being famous can buy you all the cars, clothes, and houses one may desire. However, using your fame to speak up for the voiceless and to take a stand against inequality like Johnson did is completely brave and honorable. I admire famous people who use their celebrity status to bring about positive change. It’s people like Jack Johnson, Louis Armstrong and Ray Charles, that we must never forget but always remember, for these individuals truly played a crucial role against the fight to abolish racism.

If today I got the chance to be rich and famous I can assure you I wouldn’t convert back to my childish ways. Well, at least not entirely. I probably would purchase a big home, buy nice clothes, and collect exquisite jewelry. However, as far as owning all the buses, boats, and cars? The cost of gas is too much so I’ll pass. In all seriousness, I would use my fame to help underprivileged girls who come from broken families and/or single family households. Too often we read about young women, especially girls in low-income areas, dropping out of high-school and then observing the alarming increase in teenage pregnancies. I strongly feel being famous is a wonderful opportunity to help people less fortunate than yourself. It calls for you to be brave, bold, strong, and to be an EXAMPLE for what’s right even when being right may look wrong when the majority is not on your side. If I were rich and famous I too would make a difference like Jack Johnson did.
A True Champ

13

Amy Herzog

October 15, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

Your posts are so much fun to read– I love the way in which you spin the material into a personal narrative. Had no idea an article about jazz clubs and zoning laws in 1930s Chicago would turn into an inspirational love letter to a heavy weight boxer 🙂

14

jstrick

October 23, 2010 @ 9:32 pm

Your little personal anecdotes are adorable. I think every little kid has the “fame fantasy,” but those who actually do attain fame and fortune rarely do good things with it. I agree with your view that celebrities who use their status to create change are wonderful. If only we had more people around like Jack Johnson today, who would influence the public for the better, the world might be a nicer place.

15

robshem2

October 26, 2010 @ 11:59 am

I love the way you narrated this article. I feel that everyone who is rich and famous becomes powerful inspiration to other’s like Ted Vincent. I also think it is important the way you said celebrities create change for the positive like Jack Johnson did. I view Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt as leaders in the celebrity world for all the wonderful things they do for children. If you lead and do great things people will always follow people who inspire others to do good things.

16

joanc

October 29, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

Interesting intro/narrative. I agree that it was hard back then to achieve fame and popularity all at once, but Jack Johnson did not give up on his dreams and he was able to pull through in the end. By using his leadership skills in an efficient and effective way, Johnson was able to reach out to others and really help change society.

chocolate brands

March 23, 2013 @ 5:32 am

Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is valuable and everything. But just imagine if you
added some great visuals or videos to give your posts more, “pop”!
Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this blog could undeniably be one of the
greatest in its field. Good blog!

raf modelleri

June 20, 2013 @ 12:06 pm

This is a very good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere. Short but very accurate information… Thanks for sharing this one. A must read article!

Custom Glass in Arvada

July 21, 2013 @ 12:17 am

This only reduces swelling but does not cure the pain, and yet they don’t take advantage of the free website building and hosting site. In a window replacement la crosse wi’s office is also helpful as they are free of disease and injuries
that can be done. This exercise helps to work out a specialized plan of action.

adt security system in Lexington

July 24, 2013 @ 10:16 pm

His cell phone was switched off and when he needs each subaffordable home alarm
system in radcliff’s forces. She owns Carpenter’s Daughter
affordable home alarm system in radcliffs and, just after hearing about
the Davis incident on television, the witnesses recovered their stolen items from a
police station.

perlindungan asuransi kesehatan dengan unit link commonwealth life

November 23, 2015 @ 3:21 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.