The Music Industry

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

First Reading: Do you have a little Thomas Edison in you?

Filed under: Uncategorized — 4everyoung at 2:48 am on Monday, September 20, 2010

John Quincy Adams once said, “Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.”  Ronald Reagan was once quoted saying, “What should happen when you make a mistake is this: you take your knocks, you learn your lessons, and then you move on”.  And, from the time I can remember, my mom has always said, “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again”.  After reading the first 5 chapters of America on Record by Andre Millard, I couldn’t help but think that Thomas Edison had to have met my mom, both our former Presidents of the United States, and must have had a one-on-one pep talk with each one of them.  Now, of course I’m just being a little juvenile with my figurative statement since Edison would of just been born a year before the passing of President Adams, and would of died before having the wonderful opportunity of meeting my mom, and yes, the late president Ronald Reagan.  In all seriousness, I must admit that I was moved by how tenacious, determined, and innovative Thomas Edison was.  I’ve always known that Edison by far was a genius, but I guess I never really gave much thought as to what makes one not only a genius, but what also makes one not afraid of failure.

What makes one not afraid of failure?  What gives man the motivation that good is never good enough?  These are questions I would have liked to ask Thomas Edison.  When Edison invented the phonograph, a technological devise that recorded sound, immediately he knew his “invention” was just the beginning; For Edison once said, “It takes dexterity and a fair amount of luck to achieve success.”  He might not have known it then, but he was certainly on the path of greatness and in my eyes he never needed luck.  Thank goodness Edison wasn’t afraid of failure.  Can you imagine having a cell phone without voicemail folks?

Like Thomas Edison, I too am a person who is resilient, indomitable, and a person who embraces “set-backs”, for “set-backs” are simply “setups” for comebacks.  Where am I going with this you may ask?  Well, when Professor Herzog asked the class to setup a blog, immediately I went into panic mood.  I thought, “I never blogged before…how on earth do I do that”?  Still in all, I bit the bullet, not literally, and gave it a try.  I tried once and got it wrong. I tried twice and still I got it wrong.  Guess what? I tried a third time, and finally I got it RIGHT.  I must admit, I was a little embarrassed when I saw my name appear 3 times on the main page and when I clicked onto my name, nothing happened.  However, you know what I told myself?  It’s always too soon to quit and never too late to start; It wouldn’t surprise me if Edison believed in the same mottoJ

3

robert shemanski

September 23, 2010 @ 11:54 pm

Thomas edison was a great inventor but had a lot of help. I feel that these inventors should have shared there glory with others who helped. it could not be done without them Check out my Alexander Graham Bell who created the telephone. Watson is the one who replaced the reed with metal making you able to communicate in 5 rooms at the same time. the reed was ineffective and would break. After Watson made the invention Alexander graham bell patent it taking all the credit. Should he get all the credit for creating the telephone by himself? answer No. Edison was smarter than everyone else but he took other people’s ideas and finished there inventions and then patent them. Does that make Edison the greatest inventor of all time? Answer Yes and No. Edison created several inventions on his own but stole other people inventions which today would be considered add ons to make a product better. Edison phonograph was his greatest invention because it helped us win the war, led to communications in railroad wires and much much more. Edison is considered the greatest inventor of all time but check out david crowley communication book 5th edition you may not think of edison as a hero but a man who used all inventors who could not finish their product missing one thing to complete invention edison figures it out on his own and then patents it stealing all the glory like alexander graham bell did. you will be suprised to learn all big invention have several little inventions its like a jig saw puzzle that leads to the big invention. without the small inventions the big invention would have never happened.

4

Amy Herzog

September 26, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

Really fun post, Adrianne! I’ll confess to sharing some of Robert’s reservations about Edison (I really can’t get past the whole Tesla thing with the puppies and elephants), but at the same time his works truly have changed our world. What I most enjoy about your reflections on this material is your willingness to challenge yourself– can’t wait to see what you decide to take on for your projects.

5

skkoumou

September 28, 2010 @ 11:23 am

I also, had so many problems setting up my blog. It was very daunting to me to even do this. I never really jumped on the whole twitter band wagon, so I saw parallels to twitter and the blog. I just though why would people want to care enough about what I am writing about. Even though we have to care because its part of our course it still gave me reservations. Then I realized how many blogs are out in cyberspace that i read and I am very thankful that people are so diligent with keeping them updated so that made me feel a little bit better.
As for Thomas Edison, I completely agree, I do not know where I would be if he decided to get frustrated and give up on things. It makes me realize that when things are difficult in my life, just how hard it could be for other people, especially in different eras. I know its sounds so cliche and corny, but it really inspires me to not give up. It makes me realize if things are truly important regardless as to the motives (money, fame, inspiration)you can really get through it if you just be persistent. I guess why people really do persevere, and all in all, a giant thank you to the genius that came before my time, for never giving up accept for the Greeks, no thank yous for inventing math, and philosophy. Just Kidding 🙂

6

brian morrissey

October 3, 2010 @ 5:27 am

Edison will go always down in history as an incredible visionary, but I must say that often an individuals great accomplishment and praise can often be built on the backs of his contemporaries. Edison was very fortunate enough to recieve mos tof the credit for many of the creation he legitimately did created and other he advanced upon whom others created and later was associated with. The bottom line is advancement is seldomly created by one, but instead a group of individuals who themselves were not afraid of failure. Indeed it was through the excessive failings,research, and development of his contemporaries that allowed him his fame and reputation. The mor eminds collaborate, whether they do so openl or inadvertantly, through repition, practice, and persiverance; the more the world benefits from a more thought out finialized creation

7

sm09

October 3, 2010 @ 11:47 pm

I must agree with everyone here that without failure you can’t succeed, it is through your failures that you learn what works and what doesn’t. If your afraid to fail then what will you do? Sit home and never experience life? I know we can try and learn from others mistakes but without making some of our own I don’t believe we will ever truly learn.

dog day care bucks county and montgomery county pa

August 2, 2015 @ 7:56 am

Muzica Noua

April 7, 2016 @ 4:10 am

Muzica Noua

The Music Industry » First Reading: Do you have a little Thomas Edison in you?

bike shop mentone Vic

April 12, 2016 @ 8:02 am

bike shop mentone Vic

ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved

Care product Companies

June 29, 2016 @ 4:49 pm

Care product Companies

Growing older

June 30, 2016 @ 6:45 am

Growing older

beauty tips for white body

August 4, 2016 @ 8:12 am

beauty tips for white body

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.